This Friday is a very important day for Harrison. He will have a bone marrow aspirate done to see if there is any evidence of remaining leukemia. They want to see, in essence, if the last three and a half years of treatment has failed.
Can you imagine having endured three and a half years of chemotherapy only to discover it didn’t work!?
I sometimes feel like we’re in Hotel California, where we can check out any time we like, but we can never leave (guitar solo).
On April 1, following Harrison’s final scheduled chemo infusion, he was elated. Obviously, the excitement over the end of treatment has given way to the anxiety of this test. Following the bone marrow draw on Friday we will endure a weekend of waiting for the results. Will the marrow be clear? Will they find remaining cancer? What will happen if they find cancer?
Unfortunately, there is nothing anyone can do between now and Friday to change the results of the test. Treatment is over. They’ve done what they can to save Harrison’s life, and now we wait.
Harrison just recently remarked they he doesn’t want to go Friday. Why? The pain of accessing? Having to get up so early? The pain he will feel all weekend?
The fear of cancer’s continued grip on him.
There are countless things a 13 year old should be worried about, but cancer shouldn’t be one of them.
Your prayers for him (and for the rest of us) are greatly appreciated.